Mother's Day Photo Pot

I made this great photo pot for my mother-in-law for Mother's Day. I knew she would go crazy over the pictures and would also love the flowers. Score! She loved the pot and shed some tears as well over the sentimental pictures and thought that went into the gift. Points for daughter-in-law!

This project had multiple steps and required drying time between steps, but still proved to be pretty easy and fun.

Step 1- purchase ceramic pot. I bought mine at Michael's for $2.75. I just happened to be at Michael's and have a coupon. You can also find them at Home Depot, Lowe's Wal-Mart, etc. Pricing all comparable.

Step 2- Clean and dry your pot. You want to make sure there is no dirt or dust on your pot before painting it. I chose to use a multi-purpose spray paint, but you could also use a multiple-purpose craft paint. I don't work with spray paint often, so it was a bit tricky at first, but I got down the hand movements and consistency of spraying down just after a few minutes. I sprayed my pot with 2 coats. More to cover up some areas that had splotching then anything. I broke down a diaper box and sprayed my pot on the box in the back yard. No mess and just threw the box away afterwards.

Step 3- Once the pot was dry, I cut out my pictures and began pasting to the pot. I used black and white printer paper copies from my home computer. I imagine you could also print color prints as well. Photos were adhered with Modge Podge . Once all photos had been glued to the pot. I then painted the photos with 2 layers of Modge Podge as well and let dry over night.

Step 4- Once pot pictures were completely dry; I sprayed a coat of Triple Threat Brilliant Gloss Glaze. This is used a protective coat and to take away any stickiness the modge podge may have left.

Step 5- Next I added a splash of color with ribbon. I simply tied the ribbon into a bow on the rim of the pot. I did not glue the ribbon. I thought it best not to glue it so my MIL had the option of changing it seasonally if she wanted.

Step 6- My final step was to add my flower/plant. I originally set out to buy Tulips. The assortment of Tulips at Fresh Market that day was not impressive, so I ended up with the pink Begonias, which I love!

So there you have it. I would rate this project a 7 on a scale of 10 as far as skill/patience level. Well worth the time and effort though. I plan on making one of these for my mother soon. I chose to make her a different photo project for Mother's Day, which I will post shortly.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Pesto Flatbread

Woodford Reserve Bourbon Balls ~ A sweet Father's Day Treat

Quick and Easy Chicken Enchiladas (21 Day Fix Inspired Recipe)