Caprese Chicken- Quick, Easy and Healthy

To say I took the summer off would be an understatement. My last post was at the end of May. What the???? Taking the summer off, was not my intention. In fact, I thought I was going to be able to focus on the blog over the summer months. Guess I was wrong. It has been a busy summer for everything else beside this blog though. Boys were in camp, we spent a lot of time with our cousins, we had swim instruction, plays dates, mom and dad even had a weekend get away and then a 1 night stay cation with friends. Not too shabby, right? I am hoping now that summer is winding down, I can start focusing more on my blog, which is a huge outlet for me. Unfortunately, it will compete for my free time with some other activities I have, like MOMs Club, Jamberry and more recently BeachBody.

So in an effort to jump right back in, tonight I bring you a delicious, healthy and easy dish to prepare. It was dinner for one tonight and I actually packed it as the Mister's lunch earlier today too. This recipe came from 21 Day Fix Creator, Autumn Calabrese's new cookbook Fixate. I am in love with this cookbook. In the last week, I've already tried 5 or 6 recipes. All of them winners so far!

Caprese Chicken
Serve: 1
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Containers (per serving): Green 1/2, Red 1, Blue 1, Teaspoon 1

1 (4oz) raw chicken breast, boneless, skinless
1 dash ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. olive oil
2 tsp. pesto (divided)
2 thick slices of tomato
4 large, fresh basil leaves (optional)
1 slice fresh mozzarella (1 oz.)
balsamic vinegar to taste


1. Season both sides of chicken evenly with black pepper.
2. Heat oil in medium nonstick pan over medium heat.
3. Cook chicken 3-4 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink inside.
4. Top chicken with 1 part pesto sauce, 1 tomato slice and basil. Next,  top with 2nd part pesto, mozzarella  and 2nd tomato slice.
5. *Reduce heat to medium-low; cook covered for an additional 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted and tomatoes are softened. (*optional, I actually removed mine from heat and topped with balsamic instead of letting cheese melt).

I may have gone a bit overboard with the balsamic. 

This is a simple, clean and healthy dish. It makes a great lunch or dinner. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Nutritional Information (per serving): Calories: 288
Total Fat:13 g Saturated Fat: 4 g Cholesterol: 91 mg Sodium: 719 mg Carbohydrates: 7 g Fiber: 1 g Sugars: 5 g Protein: 32 g


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Pesto Flatbread

Woodford Reserve Bourbon Balls ~ A sweet Father's Day Treat

Quick and Easy Chicken Enchiladas (21 Day Fix Inspired Recipe)