Caprese Chicken- Quick, Easy and Healthy
So in an effort to jump right back in, tonight I bring you a delicious, healthy and easy dish to prepare. It was dinner for one tonight and I actually packed it as the Mister's lunch earlier today too. This recipe came from 21 Day Fix Creator, Autumn Calabrese's new cookbook Fixate. I am in love with this cookbook. In the last week, I've already tried 5 or 6 recipes. All of them winners so far!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Containers (per serving): Green 1/2, Red 1, Blue 1, Teaspoon 1
1 (4oz) raw chicken breast, boneless, skinless
1 dash ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. olive oil
2 tsp. pesto (divided)
2 thick slices of tomato
4 large, fresh basil leaves (optional)
1 slice fresh mozzarella (1 oz.)
balsamic vinegar to taste
1. Season both sides of chicken evenly with black pepper.
2. Heat oil in medium nonstick pan over medium heat.
3. Cook chicken 3-4 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink inside.
4. Top chicken with 1 part pesto sauce, 1 tomato slice and basil. Next, top with 2nd part pesto, mozzarella and 2nd tomato slice.
5. *Reduce heat to medium-low; cook covered for an additional 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted and tomatoes are softened. (*optional, I actually removed mine from heat and topped with balsamic instead of letting cheese melt).
|I may have gone a bit overboard with the balsamic.|
This is a simple, clean and healthy dish. It makes a great lunch or dinner. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.