A Healthier Twist On a Traditional Favorite: Chicken Salad

I love chicken salad! I love how refreshing it is as well as all the goodies you can add to it depending you likings. Of course what's not to like about your traditional chicken salad is the loads of calorie packed mayonnaise that is in it. Prior to taking control of my eating and transitioning to a cleaner lifestyle, I would make my chicken salad with low fat mayo or even mayo with EVOO. I'll admit, it made me feel better mentally about what I was eating. The fact is, it's still not cleanest version of chicken salad out there.

In my quest to find a cleaner alternative to this refreshing favorite of mine, I found a bunch of recipes on Pinterest using Greek yogurt in replace of mayo and I thought, "what the heck, just try it!" I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised.

The recipe below is a cross adaptation from Fits Simple & Fixate Cookbook recipes.


Ingredients-
-3 cups of rotisserie chicken, shredded (you can also use 3-4 cooked chicken tenderloins or 2 cooked chicken breasts, also shredded).
-1/3 c of Plain Greek yogurt ( I use 0% Fage).
-1/2 small green or red apple (I used red, cut into chunks)
-1/2 cup seedless red grapes
-1/3 cup of sliced almonds
-1 tsp pepper
-2 tsp lemon juice
- optional: Himalayan salt to taste

Instructions- 
Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, mixing well. Refrigerate covered for at least 2 hours.
Serve in 1 1/4 serving sizes over 1 cup of romaine lettuce, half of whole wheat bun or 1 slice of whole wheat bread or pita pocket.

Container breakdown-
1.5 red- chicken and yogurt
1 green if opting for lettuce
1 yellow if opting for bun, bread or pita
.5 purple- apple and grapes
.5 blue- sliced almonds
1 tsp- oil for grilling chicken

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Pesto Flatbread

Woodford Reserve Bourbon Balls ~ A sweet Father's Day Treat

Quick and Easy Chicken Enchiladas (21 Day Fix Inspired Recipe)