Mini Apple and Pumpkin Pies

This year I hosted a small Thanksgiving dinner for my parents, in-laws and out of town Aunt. I was excited to do this, especially because it was on a smaller level then our usual holiday hosting. I got off real easy, only having to do sides (which my mom helped with) and desserts. My MIL did the turkey and stuffing.

As I searched Pinterest and my own "Gobble Gobble" Thanksgiving board, I decided I wanted to make traditional desserts, but with a little spin. So I decided to go with the mini apple and pumpkin pies. These recipes were simple and oh so good!

Mini Pumpkin Pies
Recipe found on Home is Where the Boat Is
Ingredients-  makes 12 mini pies
1 package refrigerated pie crusts
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
2 eggs
1 tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
4 in round cookie cutter

Step 1- roll out pie dough with pin. Cut mini pie crusts with cookie cutter. I did not have a 4 inch cookie cutter, so instead I used the mouth of a tumbler cup. Pictured below.


Step 2- spray muffin tin with baking spray and line each with cut pie dough, pinching tops to muffin tin.

Step 3- Preheat oven to 425.
Step 4- Mix pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs and pumpkin pie spice in large bowl until smooth.    Pour into pastry lined muffin cups to the top. Top with a pastry leaf if desired.
Step 5- Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake 20 - 25 minutes longer or until knife inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool 30 minutes in pan and remove to wire rack to cool for another hour for pumpkin filling to set completely.
Step 6- Enjoy. We topped our pies with homemade whipped cream. Click here for recipe.
                                                



Mini Apple Pies
Recipe found on little bit funky
Ingredients- makes approximately 18-24 mini pies
3 lb bag of apples (appoximately 8 cups)
12 tablespoons of flour
1 1/2 cup of sugar
4 heaping teaspoons of cinnamon

4 tablespoons of chilled butter cut into 24 equal portions
2 boxes of pie crust (chilled, not frozen)

Step 1-Roll out pie dough with pin. Cut mini pie crusts with cookie cutter. I did not have a 4 inch cookie cutter, so instead I used the mouth of a tumbler cup. See picture above.
Step 2- Spray muffin tin with baking spray and line each with cut pie dough, pinching tops to muffin tin.
Step 3- Peel and cut apples into 1/2 inch bites.
Step 4 - Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Step 5- In a bowl mix apples, flour, sugar and cinnamon.


Step 6-Next, take your equally divided butter and put a dab on each pie. I actually forgot to do this and they turned out fine. What I ended up doing was brushing them with melted butter and heating them in the oven before I served them since I made them the day before Thanksgiving.
Step 7-Cover as desired w left over dough.I rolled out my scraps and cut strips to crisscross. Others I used a pumpkin cookie cutter and cover with a pumpkin cut out. Brush with melted butter and bake at 400 degrees for 18-22 minutes. Begin checking at 10 minutes.

Step 8- Enjoy!










Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Pesto Flatbread

Quick and Easy Chicken Enchiladas (21 Day Fix Inspired Recipe)

Woodford Reserve Bourbon Balls ~ A sweet Father's Day Treat